BAHEMUKA DRAMA PROJECT
BAHEMUKA DRAMA PROJECT ($226,611).
Bahemuka is a local word in Rutooro language when translated in English it means “to get ashamed”.
Bahemuka Drama project was formed purposely to support the increased awareness of key socio-economic and health issues, children and/or women rights among other key issues. The use of Bahemuka radio drama is used as a strategy since it uses mainly the local dialect to pass on critical information.
It’s more engaging hence crowd-pulling, more educative as well as entertaining and interactive. Radio drama skits are scripted, recorded and play from Monday -Friday 6:00-6:30 am. The drama group also go for outreaches for performances in rural communities to educate the people on the issues mentioned above.
Why Bahemuka Drama
It was formed purposely to create awareness on Key issues affecting hard to reach communities in the Rwenzori region. This approach was adopted because it uses the local language with tailored messages. It is informative, engaging, interactive, entertaining and crowd-pulling are hence community-centred.
To contribute towards increased socio-economic and health awareness among the hard to reach communities of the Rwenzori region.
- To enhance awareness and information on HIV, SGBV and domestic violence prevention among 900,000 people in 8 districts of Western Uganda.
- To have a healthy and violence-free sustainable society.
Key Issues Addressed with Bahemuka Drama.
Key among the issues addressed by Bahemuka drama during community drama sessions are: –
- Awareness of HIV prevention
- Awareness of Sexual Gender-Based Violence prevention (SGBV), effects……
- Children and women’s rights awareness and advocacy.
- Domestic violence awareness/prevention.
Expected results of Bahemuka Drama Project.
- Increased number of people accessing HIV, SGBV and Domestic violence prevention and care services.
- Increased number of people with the right information about HIV prevention and care, SBGV prevention, women and children rights protection and support.
- Increased number of people who respect women and Children rights and their property.
Annual Costs needed to sustain the project.
The total cost for the project annually is UGX 98,460,000/= (USD 226,611).